Yes, I did rewrite the 10 commandments. If that offends you, don’t read any further. The new commandments were not put into the book as there was no place for them, but these are the rules that the devout live by.
Humans and their intelligent creations once stretched towards the stars. By the late twenty-second century, they colonized Luna, Mars, Europa and Ganymede and Triton. They explored deeper into the cosmos with interstellar colonist ships. However, when humans realized they’d squandered Earth’s resources, it became too expensive to send people into space. Fossil fuels ran out, icecaps melted, and oceans became cemeteries of dead organisms. In the twenty-fourth century, the colonies of Triton, Europa, and Ganymede collapsed as people flooded back to the inner solar system, fearing they would be without regular supply ships. Mars perished when the borosilicate domes failed. People abandoned Luna when the titanium ran dry.
In the twenty-seventh century, human level androids were marooned with humans on Earth when the Evolved AI whose minds stretched beyond understanding—refused to remain on the overcrowded Earth with such limited creatures.
Humanity sought sanctuary and answers in the old religions. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and The Children of Isaac and Ishmael delighted in this groundswell of interest and declared it a time of renewal. The religions were not about to make the same mistakes that made them almost extinct. In a world of seventeen billion people, they elevated cleanliness to a virtue, and rewrote the sanitation laws. They changed unpopular social doctrine to fit the new world where all three genders were equal, and people weren’t defined by the composition of their skin—whether born of flesh or manufactured from silicone. They served sixty percent of the population well.
The Ten Commandments for a New Age
From the Testament of Pope Jon Francis, 2645
Canonized by The United Church in 2793
1. Love your God, above all others.
2. Remember your Sabbath and keep it holy.
3. Live with respect to your neighbor’s beliefs. I am infinite; they only worship another face of Me.
4. Show charity to your neighbor whether they be biological or silicone, man, pangender, or woman. All are equal in the eyes of God.
5. Keep a clean body and home to prevent the spread of disease.
6. Respect your parents, show kindness to your siblings and children.
7. Do not waste the resources I have given you, these are finite.
8. Do not let your thoughts be violent, lest they cause slander, strife, or murder.
9. Do not covet your neighbor’s life, your spouse and children were given to you to be your joy.
10. Do not mingle with those who sully themselves, lest they be your downfall.